IMPLEMENTATION MECHANISM OF FOOD BANK MALAYSIA PROGRAM
1. Coordinator: Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs
2. Contributors: Supermarkets, Manufacturers, Food Manufacturers, Food Entrepreneurs and Hotels
3. Motivators: Key Strategic Partners, NGOs and Student Associations
4. Recipients: Poor and Destitute Families, Welfare Homes and University Students
- From August 2018 to September 2021, a total of 630,734 household members have successfully benefited from this Program. Indirectly, the Program has also managed to save 2,478 metric tons of food surplus.
- As for the Student Food Bank Program, since this program was conducted from February 2019 to September 2021, a total of 19,974 students have benefited from this program which has been conducted in 27 Institutes of Higher Learning (IPT).
- The Food Donors Protection Act 2020 was gazetted on 13 March 2020. This Act was created to encourage food donations to the needy by alleviating the concerns of donors, especially the industry against the risk of legal action in the event of an untoward incident.