Festive Seasons Price Control Scheme Enforcement
The Festive Season Price-Controlled Scheme (SKHMP) was implemented since year 2000 under the Price Control and Anti-Profiteering Act 2011 (formerly Price Control Act 1946).
Under this Scheme, a number of essential festive season goods are identified as price-controlled goods wherein their maximum selling price will be determined according to areas and districts for a specified period. This Scheme is enforced throughout Malaysia at the producer, wholesaler and retailer level.
To date, the festive seasons encompassed:
- Hari Raya Puasa
- Chinese New Year
- Pesta Kaamatan
- Hari Gawai
- To protect consumers against profiteering
- To determine the maximum price of essential festive goods
- To ensure that goods are sold at the price determined and are readily available
Duration of implementation
According to the requirement of the specified festive season
- Hari Raya Puasa: Duration is 15 days (before, during and after the festival)
- Christmast : Duration is 5 days (before, during and after the festival)
- Deepavali : Duration is 10 days (before, during and after the festival)
- Chinese New Year : Duration is 12 days (before, during and after the festival)
Types of Price-controlled goods
Types of goods affected vary according to the festival concerned.
- Chinese New Year 2014 – 13 goods
- Hari Raya Puasa – 18 goods
- Refer appendix
Obligation of Traders
- To affix pink coloured labels indicating the price per unit or per unit weight, the name describing the said goods and the grade or quality, if any, of such price-controlled goods.
- Not to sell such goods above the determined maximum price
- To ensure adequate supply of price-controlled goods.
- Selling price-controlled goods above the maximum price
- Failure to display pink coloured labels for price-controlled goods
- Failure to affix price tags
- Individual – a fine of up to RM 100,000 and/or three years imprisonment
- Body corporate – a fine of up to RM500,000
Implementation of Christmas SKHMP 2018 (Effective:23 December hingga 27 December 2018)